Upper Moreland Township has an Emergency Operations Plan which outlines how the Township coordinates with other local, county, state and federal agencies in the event of an emergency, ranging from a hazardous material spill to a natural disaster to a terrorist incident.
Emergencies can happen anywhere at anytime. Would you know what to do if you or a loved one needed help? Here's a quick checklist to see if you and your home are safe:
- Keep a well-stocked first aid kit. Store medication in a locked cabinet so kids can't access it. Keep cleaning agents and dangerous chemicals out of reach. Keep all substances in their original containers.
- Fire extinguishers are affordable. Keep one near the furnace, in the garage and anywhere else a fire may start. Make sure everyone knows how to use them.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended or sleep while a candle is burning.
- Space heaters can be dangerous if not used correctly. Make sure yours will shut off if accidentally tipped over.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors outside each sleeping area in your home and change batteries regularly.
- Make sure family members know how to shut off utilities and post the phone numbers for gas, water and electricity providers.
- Create and practice a home emergency/escape plan. Determine a meeting place where your family can go if forced to leave the home; post a note on your door telling others the date and time you left, and where you're going.
- Keep a bag stocked with cash, nonperishable food and water (3 days' worth for each family member), battery-powered radio, flashlight, first-aid kit, extra eyeglasses, prescription drugs, change of clothes, sturdy shoes, keys, pet supplies and blanket or sleeping bag. Make sure all family members know where the bag is kept.
- Keep a radio, blanket, flashlight, first-aid kit and fresh batteries in every vehicle.
- Keep a phone list of emergency contacts in your vehicle and wallet or purse.
- Children should know their street address, last name and how to dial 9-1-1.
If a local disaster strikes, you may not have much time to act. Prepare now for a sudden emergency. Learn how to protect yourself and cope with disaster by planning ahead. A checklist will help you get started. Discuss these ideas with your family; then prepare an emergency plan. Post the plan where everyone will see it; on the refrigerator or bulletin board. For additional information about how to prepare for hazards in your community: Contact the Upper Moreland Township Emergency Management Coordinator or Deputy Emergency Management Coordinators.
You can also sign up for Smart911 and add what you want responders to know in case of an emergency. If you ever call 9-1-1, the call taker can use your information to save valuable time when seconds count. Emergency Responders can also leverage this information to help you faster and more efficiently.
View Disaster Preparedness for helpful hints.
Understanding Sheltering In Place Emergencies
Sheltering in place can disrupt our routines and challenge our ability to tend to responsibilities, such as work and caring for loved ones. Understandably, we may become nervous or uncomfortable when sheltering in place. During certain emergencies, local authorities may ask or require you to shelter in place.
View Sheltering-In-Place Emergencies for helpful hints.
An earthquake is sudden, rapid shaking of the earth cased by the breaking and shifting of rock beneath the earth's surface. Earthquakes strike suddenly, without warning and they can occur at anytime of the year, day or night. Forty-five states and territories in the United States are moderate to very high risk of earthquakes and they are located in every region of the country.
View Earthquake Safety for helpful hints.
Dial 9-1-1 for Emergencies
117 Park Avenue
Willow Grove, PA 19090
Emergency Management Coordinator
Phone: 215-659-3100 x1146
Email Brian Newhall
Captain John Fugelo
Acting Director/Fire Marshal/Shift Captain
Email John Fugelo
Second Alarmer's Rescue
Upper Moreland Historical Association invites the public to attend the Montgomery County Trolleys on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 7:30 p.m. Read on...
The Pennypack Ecological Restoration Trust will host a Full Moon Event on Friday, October 26, 2018 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Read on...
The Fabulous Gustafsons will be amazing us all at the FRIENDS of Upper Moreland Free Public Library Annual Meeting on November 13, 2018 Read on...