Historic Preservation Ordinance
In July of 2001, the Upper Moreland Board of Commissioners passed the Historic Preservation Ordinance to encourage preservation of sites significant to the history and development of the Township and to establish a Historical Commission chartered with administering that ordinance and developing an Inventory of Historical Properties.
The Historical Commission consists of up to fifteen members from the community to include an architect, a real estate agent, an attorney, a representative from the Advisory Planning Agency, a Township Commissioner, two members of the Upper Moreland Historical Association, and members from the general public. Members of the Historical Commission are appointed by the Commissioners and serve a three year term. The Commission meets the 1st Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at the Township Administration Building.
Members of the Historic Commission include:
- Natalie Baine-Schliskey, (Secretary)
- John Behan, (Member At-Large)
- Jacqueline Cherepinksy, (Member At-Large)
- John Connell (Member At-Large)
- Heather Flaherty, (Member At-Large)
- Michael Lovecchio, (Member At-Large)
- Bonnie Lynn MacDonald, (Treasurer)
- Udo Maron, (Architect and Vice President)
- Thomas Murt, (Member At-Large)
- Anthony Prousi, (Commissioner)
- Arlene B. Rubin, (Attorney and APA)
- Alan Sentman, (Member At-Large)
- Susan Worth-LaManna, (President and UMHA Liaison)
- VACANT (Real Estate Professional)
- VACANT (Alternate)
- VACANT (Alternate)
The Commission welcomes nominations to include properties on the Township’s Historical Inventory. You can review the property criteria and benefits of registration on our Ordinance Highlights page.
The Commission works closely with the private, non-profit, Upper Moreland Historical Association to foster and encourage preservation of our Community’s past for the benefit of future generations.
Any member of the community with such an interest may contact the Historical Commission by email or through the Township Manager’s Office to discuss their possible involvement in the work of the Commission.
The Historical Commission is charged with the responsibility to promote, protect and facilitate the preservation of buildings, structures, sites, objects, and districts of historic significance and value that exist in the Township. Preservation of these resources is in the best interest of the prosperity and welfare of the people of Upper Moreland by enhancing property values, improving aesthetics of the built and natural environment, and creating the potential for heritage tourism.
General Responsibility of the Commission
The Upper Moreland Historical Commission has the general responsibility of promoting historic preservation in the Township by performing any or all of the following:
- Publishing printed material related to historic preservation.
- Adding historic preservation related material to the Township web site.
- Holding events to promote and educate Township residents about historic preservation.
- Educating historic resource owners about grants, tax incentives and the benefits of protection provided by state and federal government historic preservation programs and laws.
- Educating historic resource owners about the potential benefits of having a resource listed on the Upper Moreland Historic Resources Inventory including honorary designation, improved development opportunities, and protection.
- Advising the Board of Commissioners concerning acquiring, restoring, preserving, reconstructing, or rehabilitating historic resources in the Township.
The Upper Moreland Historic Preservation Ordinance Number 1718, amending ordinances 1451, 1485 and 1575
Amending ordinance No. 1451, No. 1485 and No. 1575, Ordinance No. 1718 was ordained and enacted on July 12, 2021. Click: Ordinance Number 1718 (PDF) to view.
The Inventory is an official listing of historic sites within the Township and is the result of the homeowner’s acceptance of this recognition of their pride of ownership of a part of the legacy of our community. Acceptance is strictly voluntary, and the Township boasts well over one hundred historic homes at the present time. Of these, the forty-one homes shown on the following pages currently comprise the Historic Inventory. View Historic Sites Inventory (PDF)